When you setup a site on Pressable, a staging URL is created:
There are a couple of advantages of this staging URL:
- Migrating a site from another host: You can move the files and database and test before changing DNS.
- Cloning a site already on Pressable: Test updates, make changes, etc., without modifying your live site.
When you add a domain to your site, often times the staging URL remains in your database instead of being replaced by the live domain. In these instances you will want to run a search/replace of the staging URL to your live domain. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this:
Warning before doing anything to your Database!
Run a backup of your database before making any changes. If you have a backup of your database and make a mistake, then you can quickly revert to the backup and have the site up and running again.
Click here to learn how to backup your site and Database.
WordPress Plugin: Better Search Replace
When moving your WordPress site to a new domain or server, you will likely run into a need to run a search/replace on the database for everything to work correctly. Fortunately, there are several plugins available for this task. However, all have a different approach to a few key features. This plugin consolidates the best features from these plugins, incorporating the following features into one simple plugin:
- Serialization support for all tables
- The ability to select specific tables
- The ability to run a “dry run” to see how many fields will be updated
- No server requirements aside from a running installation of WordPress
- WordPress Multisite support
Contact Pressable Support
If you have tried this plugin and are having issues, or just want Pressable Support to help, please contact us at email@example.com. Please provide the live domain of the site you need help with and we can make this update for you.