How do I assign a domain to my website?
Assigning your domain to a Pressable site is a two step process.
- Step one is pointing your domain to our servers. This can be done by using Pressable’s Nameservers or by pointing your A records to Pressable’s IP addresses.
- Step two is adding your domain to your Pressable site within the my.pressable.com Control panel.
This guide will show you how to point your domain to your website hosted on Pressable and add it to your site. If you don’t already own the domain you want to use, you will need to purchase one through a domain registrar. Some of the most popular registrars are Godaddy.com, Namecheap.com, Name.com, and Gandi.net, just to name a few.
Step One: Setting Things up at Your Registrar
There are two methods of completing step one. Once you have a domain, use one of the following methods to point your domain to our servers through your registrar’s control panel. We recommend the easy name server method.
Name server method (easy)
Point your name servers to Pressable:
Not sure how to complete these steps? Click the name of your registrar below to find the step by step instructions on how to change your nameservers. If your registrar is not listed, contact them directly.
Note: that if you already have email hosting for your domain, we recommend getting in touch with us prior to changing the name servers to minimize/prevent any email downtime.
A Record method (advanced)
Enter A records in your custom DNS settings at your registrar if you control your own DNS. This option is primarily for advanced users. You will need to add the first IP address to the existing A record with @ host. Then create a second A record for the @ host and use the second IP address for it. This is known as a round-robin configuration and adds redundancy to your DNS. You can find the specific IP address for your Pressable site in the MyPressable control panel:
- Log in to MyPressable Control Panel
- Click the “Settings” button for the site you want to work on
- Scroll down to the “DNS Information” section.
- Under “Advanced” in the DNS Information section it will show the complete IP address that you must enter as an A record at your registrar. Note that the image below is an example only.
- At your registrar, add the A records for both the www and root (@/non-www) versions of your domain. You will have 4 A records total for a round robin configuration. This helps ensure that your site is always available for users.
Most DNS hosts allow you to add multiple IP addresses. For example, if your DNS host is GoDaddy, your domain’s records may look something like this now:
In this case, assuming the new IP addresses are 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 (for example), take the following steps:
1) Modify the existing A record pointing to 220.127.116.11, to 18.104.22.168
2) Click “Add”, and create another record where your host is “@”, your IP is “22.214.171.124”, and TTL (time to live) is “1/2 Hour”:
3) Once saved, your records should look like this:
In some cases, the “www” record may be a separate A record, and not a CNAME record. In other words, rather than having “@” as its value, it will have an IP address; in our example, 126.96.36.199.
In this case, you can either remove the “www” record and create a CNAME (as above), or you can change the IP address and add a new one, similarly to what was done for the “@” record above. It may look something like this:
My DNS host does not allow me to add two A records. What should I do?
Some customers have informed us that their DNS hosts do not allow them to add multiple records with the same IP address. If you run into this issue, you may use one IP address, but this is not ideal. If possible, we’d encourage you to verify that you are unable to implement multiple records for the same IP address with your DNS host or use a different DNS host.
Step two: Add Your Domain at Pressable
After you have updated the DNS settings at your registrar, visit your MyPressable Control Panel. After clicking your site’s name scroll to the Domains section of the page. Enter the non-www version of your domain name, in the text area and click Add Domain (we will automatically add the www version).
Once the domain has been added, it will begin provisioning the domain, DNS, and SSL which can be observed with the 3 icons next to the domain. You can hover over these icons for additional information. The icons will turn green when provisioning has completed successfully.
If you would like to change the primary domain, you can click the ★ button next to the domain that you would like to be the primary. All other domains will redirect to the primary.
You now have your custom domain pointed to your Pressable website. It may take up to 72 hours for the the DNS to propagate, however in most cases this process will take less than an hour.