How do I assign a domain to my website?
Assigning your domain to a Pressable site is a two step process. Step one is pointing your domain to our servers. Step two is adding your domain to your Pressable site within the my.pressable.com Control panel.
This guide will show you how to point your domain to your website hosted on Pressable and add it to your site. If you don’t already own the domain you want to use, you will need to purchase one through a domain registrar. Some of the most popular registrars are Godaddy.com, Namecheap.com, Name.com, and Gandi.net, just to name a few.
Step One: Setting Things up at Your Registrar
There are two methods of completing step one. Once you have a domain, use one of the following methods to point your domain to our servers through your registrar’s control panel. We recommend the easy name server method.
Name server method (easy)
Point your name servers to Pressable:
Not sure how to complete these steps? Click the name of your registrar below to find the step by step instructions on how to change your nameservers. If your registrar is not listed, contact them directly.
Note: that if you already have email hosting for your domain, we recommend getting in touch with us prior to changing the name servers to minimize/prevent any email downtime.
A record method (advanced)
Enter A records in your custom DNS settings at your registrar in order to control your own DNS. This option is primarily for advanced users. You will need to add an IP address to point the A record. You can find the specific IP address for your Pressable site in the MyPressable control panel:
- Log in to MyPressable Control Panel
- If not already there, click on My Sites at the top of the page.
- Click the title of your site to visit the site specific settings page
- Scroll down to the heading Launch Your Site section.
Note if you’re adding a second domain scroll to the Additional Domains section.
- Click on the link for Click here for Instructions to do this. In the Additional Domains section the link will say these instructions (see screenshot below).
- Copy the IP address shown here; note that the image below is an example only. Your own site settings will show you the complete IP address you must enter as an A record at your registrar.
- At your registrar, add A records for both the www and root (@/non-www) versions of your domain, pointing both to the IP address you copied in step 3.
Step two: Add Your Domain at Pressable
After you have updated the DNS settings at your registrar, visit your MyPressable Control Panel. After clicking your site’s name scroll to the Launch Your Site section of the page. If this is your second domain, keep scrolling to the Additional Domains area. Enter the non-www version of your domain name, in the text area and click Set Primary Domain (or Add an Additional Domain) we will automatically add the www version.
Once the domain has been added, scroll to Additional Domains if you’re not already there. Then click on Set As on the version of the domain you’d like to be the primary. All other domains will redirect to the primary. In the example below, visitors of example.com will be taken seamlessly to www.example.com.
You now have your custom domain pointed to your Pressable website. It may take up to 72 hours for the the DNS to propagate, however in most cases this process will take less than an hour.